+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for citizenship

mehrdado

Feb 16, 2009
Hi,
One of my friends has been in Canada since April 2005. he entered Canada with a 2 years work permit and then extent it for another year and at the same time applied for the PR from Buffalo. He’s got his PR on March 2009. He has been in Canada since April 2005. As he has lawfully entered Canada and has lived and worked in Canada for more than four years, can he apply for Citizenship? What about his wife and his kids? (They are all here with status and they all have lawfully admitted to Canada)
Please advise!
(In Citizenship Act states: 5(1)(i)for every day during which the person was resident in Canada before his lawful admission to Canada for permenent residence the person shall be deemed to have accumulated one half day of residence
5(1)(ii)for every day during which the person was resident in Canada after his lawful admission to Canada for permenent residence the person shall be deemed to have accumulated one day of residence)

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mehrdado said:
Hi,
One of my friends has been in Canada since April 2005. he entered Canada with a 2 years work permit and then extent it for another year and at the same time applied for the PR from Buffalo. He's got his PR on March 2009. He has been in Canada since April 2005. As he has lawfully entered Canada and has lived and worked in Canada for more than four years, can he apply for Citizenship? What about his wife and his kids? (They are all here with status and they all have lawfully admitted to Canada)
Please advise!
(In Citizenship Act states: 5(1)(i)for every day during which the person was resident in Canada before his lawful admission to Canada for permenent residence the person shall be deemed to have accumulated one half day of residence
5(1)(ii)for every day during which the person was resident in Canada after his lawful admission to Canada for permenent residence the person shall be deemed to have accumulated one day of residence)

Thanks

You didn't read the full statement, your friend can only count ½ time for 2 years as a visitor, so a maximum of a year. He will be eligible to apply in Mar/11.

PMM

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

almadwari said:
I AM BUSINESS MAN ,I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO GET CANADIAN CITIZENSHIP AND I DID NOT VIST CANADA BEFORE.
Well first of all you have to apply to become a permanent resident. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

PMM