+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for Citizenship before reaching Physical Presence

skone

Aug 21, 2009
Hello,

According to the CIC website, I will be reaching my physical presence in June 2010. However I might have to leave for work to USA between Dec/March 2009. I am going to the parent company to do some work. If I leave can I still apply in June 2010 for my Citizenship or are those days that I stayed outside of Canada considered absence? If yes, is there any exception rule, that would allow me to leave Canada and I could still apply for the citizenship in June 2010?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you leave for 3 months, you need to add 3 months again and apply in September instead. There is a way to apply with less physical presence than 1095 days and in that case, a citizenship judge will decide on if you deserve to get citizenship or not but I would not advise trying that since it will probably take a lot longer to process and you may get denied anyway. Better just make sure you have your 1095 days and a couple extra to be sure and then apply.

skone

Aug 21, 2009
How does the immigration know when I leave the country or when I come back? I came to Canada in October 2003 for a vacation as well, before coming permanently in December 2003. Can I count my vacation days for the physical presence as well? My passport has no stamps, since I am originally from Germany and do not require a visitor visa.

Thanks,

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
People ask how do they know all the time. The answer is, you can take your chances lying to them but you don't know what they know and they will definitely not tell you what they know until they catch you lying. If you are feeling lucky, you can try that.

What you did in 2003 doesn't really count anymore because it's only the last 4 years that count towards your citizenship. You need 1095 days or more in Canada in the last 4 years before you apply for citizenship. Also, I hope you are aware that Germany does not allow dual citizenship unless you specifically get their approval before you take Canadian citizenship, otherwise you will lose the German one. As for how they know, I am sure they have their ways to know too.