+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working while waiting for PR?

abcanadade

May 12, 2024
Hi. Is it possible for my spouse to enter and work in Canada while waiting for a PR if we apply via Outland spouse sponsorship prior to entering? Reason being it would be nice to have some sort of income history for getting a mortgage together. I am new to all of this so apologize if I’m not using the right terminology.

Thank you in advance!

Joey-Jo

Mar 18, 2024
Hi. Is it possible for my spouse to enter and work in Canada while waiting for a PR if we apply via Outland spouse sponsorship prior to entering? Reason being it would be nice to have some sort of income history for getting a mortgage together. I am new to all of this so apologize if I’m not using the right terminology.

Thank you in advance!
Yes but only if the sponsor (ie you) has received the AOR and your spouse is given an Open Work Permit, which they can apply for when in Canada. I'm in the same boat (as applicant).

abcanadade

May 12, 2024
Yes but only if the sponsor (ie you) has received the AOR and your spouse is given an Open Work Permit, which they can apply for when in Canada. I'm in the same boat (as applicant).
Thank you for the reply. Just to confirm AOR is acknowledgment of receipt? And do you happen to know approximately how long it takes to receive the work permit?

cheers

Joey-Jo

Mar 18, 2024
Thank you for the reply. Just to confirm AOR is acknowledgment of receipt? And do you happen to know approximately how long it takes to receive the work permit?

cheers
Yes it's Acknowledgement of Receipt. As to how long a work permit takes to get, it could be a few to several months from what I understand. Also the applicant will need to get a medical done, so if I were you I would wait for you to receive sponsorship approval and your spouse to receive the biometrics and medical instruction letters first. You need patience in all of this I'm afraid.

And yes as Naturgrl asks above, does your spouse have a TRV (or ETA)?

wuyuenaixi

May 23, 2020
Hi! I am in a similar boat. Are you saying that the person being sponsored could apply for an open work permit even for outland sponsorship? (I thought it has to be inland, meaning the person being sponsored has to live in Canada when the sponsorship application is submitted) Thanks!!

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
Hi! I am in a similar boat. Are you saying that the person being sponsored could apply for an open work permit even for outland sponsorship? (I thought it has to be inland, meaning the person being sponsored has to live in Canada when the sponsorship application is submitted) Thanks!!
About a year ago this was changed. Right now, if outland applicant is able to enter Canada (using TRV or is VISA-exempt), can apply for OWP. The OWP application grants PA a long-term status so he/she can live and work in Canada. The applicant must stay in Canada for the duration of the OWP application (about 3 months if I remember correctly).

Reactions: YVR123 and armoured

wuyuenaixi

May 23, 2020
About a year ago this was changed. Right now, if outland applicant is able to enter Canada (using TRV or is VISA-exempt), can apply for OWP. The OWP application grants PA a long-term status so he/she can live and work in Canada. The applicant must stay in Canada for the duration of the OWP application (about 3 months if I remember correctly).
This is very helpful, many thanks!!