+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Welder vs. Mechanic: Which Path to Canada?

donnydarko

Jul 19, 2021
I am an overseas candidate with 3 years of experience as a Welder (NOC 72016) and 3 years as an Industrial Mechanic (NOC 72400). Apart from targeting the TRADE in category-based rounds of invitations, I am also interested in PNPs. 72106 is regulated in Alberta, Nova Scotia, Saskatchewan, and Ontario, while 72400 is non-compulsory. I do not have a job offer or relatives in Canada.

Could someone advise me on which primary occupation I should choose to increase my chances of receiving an ITA from IRCC and potentially a nomination from a province? Should I enter both of these NOCs in my EE profile (FSW), or just one showing 6 years of experience? My employer is willing to provide one with 6 years or two with 3+3 years of experience reference letters.

The only way I can reach 60 points in SINP is by having 5 years of experience in my selected NOC. Therefore, 3 years of experience in my primary NOC would not qualify me under SINP, since I will be linking my EE profile with EOI profile. However, because Welder is the most sought-after job, I am confused about whether I should list 72106 or 72400 as my primary NOC. Additionally, I also need to consider that four provinces require a license or certificate of qualification for me to submit an application if i choose 72106. I do not have that document.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am an overseas candidate with 3 years of experience as a Welder (NOC 72016) and 3 years as an Industrial Mechanic (NOC 72400). Apart from targeting the TRADE in category-based rounds of invitations, I am also interested in PNPs. 72106 is regulated in Alberta, Nova Scotia, Saskatchewan, and Ontario, while 72400 is non-compulsory. I do not have a job offer or relatives in Canada.

Could someone advise me on which primary occupation I should choose to increase my chances of receiving an ITA from IRCC and potentially a nomination from a province? Should I enter both of these NOCs in my EE profile (FSW), or just one showing 6 years of experience? My employer is willing to provide one with 6 years or two with 3+3 years of experience reference letters.

The only way I can reach 60 points in SINP is by having 5 years of experience in my selected NOC. Therefore, 3 years of experience in my primary NOC would not qualify me under SINP, since I will be linking my EE profile with EOI profile. However, because Welder is the most sought-after job, I am confused about whether I should list 72106 or 72400 as my primary NOC. Additionally, I also need to consider that four provinces require a license or certificate of qualification for me to submit an application if i choose 72106. I do not have that document.
What is your CRS score? What PNP are you eligible for without a job offer? Believe Ontario and Nova Scotia are not an option. Even with 60 points SINP, is that even enough. What is your education in?

donnydarko

Jul 19, 2021
My CRS score is 432. I qualify for AB, SK, PEI, NB (if I get to attend a strategic recruitment event), MB (if I get a support letter from Morden immigration), and NS (not considering because the last draw was in 2023 and candidates need to have a job offer). I hold a three-year advanced diploma in Mechanical Engineering. For SINP 60 is not enough, but there was a draw in Aug 2023 where the candidates with 60 points under NOCs 72106 and 72400 were selected. So I am hoping there might be another draw like that. But 72106 would require me to submit a licence that I don't have.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My CRS score is 432. I qualify for AB, SK, PEI, NB (if I get to attend a strategic recruitment event), MB (if I get a support letter from Morden immigration), and NS (not considering because the last draw was in 2023 and candidates need to have a job offer). I hold a three-year advanced diploma in Mechanical Engineering. For SINP 60 is not enough, but there was a draw in Aug 2023 where the candidates with 60 points under NOCs 72106 and 72400 were selected. So I am hoping there might be another draw like that. But 72106 would require me to submit a licence that I don't have.
Has the category specific draw been 432 and above. Don’t think PEI, NS and NB are options without job offer or working in the province. Recruitment event is just an event not job offer. Sask may be an issue because education must match the NOC. Alberta is an option if your NOC and CRS score are selected.