+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

P.Eng APEGA (Professional Engineers of Alberta) review timeline

Francesc2

May 21, 2021
Hi everyone

My status was Case to Board - May 2024. I just got a letter of deferred approval, asking for 7 months of additional experience.

My work experience was all in Canada. And I was using my MSc for an additional year of experience. Overall, they are asking for 3 years and 10 months experience, so they probably considered only two months of work experience from my MSc.

Does anyone have an idea how long the Request to Update takes, i.e. how long before the Request to Update and BOE's decision?

Thanks all.

NaiveWater930

May 2, 2024
Hi everyone

My status was Case to Board - May 2024. I just got a letter of deferred approval, asking for 7 months of additional experience.

My work experience was all in Canada. And I was using my MSc for an additional year of experience. Overall, they are asking for 3 years and 10 months experience, so they probably considered only two months of work experience from my MSc.

Does anyone have an idea how long the Request to Update takes, i.e. how long before the Request to Update and BOE's decision?

Thanks all.
My update took 6 months but it was for the competencies. I submitted the request for update on October and coordinator was assigned at the end of October.

Reactions: Francesc2

Francesc2

May 21, 2021
My update took 6 months but it was for the competencies. I submitted the request for update on October and coordinator was assigned at the end of October.
Thanks. It's so frustrating to have to update and pay another 225 CAD without even knowing what their decision is based on. They really lack transparency sometimes.

Reactions: NaiveWater930

Tosyn+

May 15, 2024
Thanks. It's so frustrating to have to update and pay another 225 CAD without even knowing what their decision is based on. They really lack transparency sometimes.
They did not give you specific reason(s) for the need for the update?

alee667

Star Member
Jul 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-07-2015
Doc's Request.
04-12-2015
Nomination.....
22-12-2015
AOR Received.
26-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed 28-01-2016
Passport Req..
22-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
22-07-2016
LANDED..........
13-01-2017

alee667

Star Member
Jul 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-07-2015
Doc's Request.
04-12-2015
Nomination.....
22-12-2015
AOR Received.
26-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed 28-01-2016
Passport Req..
22-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
22-07-2016
LANDED..........
13-01-2017
Hi everyone

Thanks all.
It would be better to complete additional 7 months and then update. APEGA is very conservative when it comes to experience.

Francesc2

May 21, 2021
They did not give you specific reason(s) for the need for the update?
They haven't. I asked them for my own experience, waiting for their response. My only theory is that they didn't count my MSc as a full year of work experience and wanted me to gather more experience to complete 4 years. Originally I had about 39 months of Canadian work experience + my MSc, but now they want me to have an overall of 46 months of work experience.

wasifkarim

May 8, 2024
My application was case to board Jun 2024. I have been advised the following along with FE Exam.

You may choose to improve any key competencies in the above competency categories. The Board wishes to inform you that you have scored below the overall category requirements in the following key competencies: 1.3, 1.4, 2.1, 2.3. AND
Obtain 12 months from September 2020 of acceptable Canadian equivalent engineering experience referenced by a P.Eng. who took technical responsibility for the work.

I need you suggestions if seniors can guide me
1. How to improve and submit the above competencies?
2. How can i obtain 12 months from September 2020 of acceptable Canadian equivalent engineering experience referenced by a P.Eng. who took technical responsibility for the work?

I shall be highly thankful if anyone can help me out please.

NaiveWater930

May 2, 2024
My application was case to board Jun 2024. I have been advised the following along with FE Exam.

You may choose to improve any key competencies in the above competency categories. The Board wishes to inform you that you have scored below the overall category requirements in the following key competencies: 1.3, 1.4, 2.1, 2.3. AND
Obtain 12 months from September 2020 of acceptable Canadian equivalent engineering experience referenced by a P.Eng. who took technical responsibility for the work.

I need you suggestions if seniors can guide me
1. How to improve and submit the above competencies?
2. How can i obtain 12 months from September 2020 of acceptable Canadian equivalent engineering experience referenced by a P.Eng. who took technical responsibility for the work?

I shall be highly thankful if anyone can help me out please.
Hi,
My case is June 2024 too and nothing here yet.
For the FE exam, I used the NCEES practice Test and FE electrical and computer review manual. I studied around two months, 2-3 hours Monday to Saturday. I passed the FE exam the first time.
For the compentencies, I added more details in some of them and provided new examples for the rest. Then, I aksed a few PENg to review them prior to submit the application.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: wasifkarim

wasifkarim

May 8, 2024
Hi,
My case is June 2024 too and nothing here yet.
For the FE exam, I used the NCEES practice Test and FE electrical and computer review manual. I studied around two months, 2-3 hours Monday to Saturday. I passed the FE exam the first time.
For the compentencies, I added more details in some of them and provided new examples for the rest. Then, I aksed a few PENg to review them prior to submit the application.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for your detailed guidance. I did my graduation in Chemical Engineering in 2006. Now its bit difficult for me to start from scratch. However, the syllabus for the "Others" Category looks easier comparatively. Can I appear in this category? will it be accepted by APEGA?
Regarding P.Eng. , Is it mandatory that P.Eng. should be from the same field or anyone? How to manage 12 months experience within Canada under the supervision of P.Eng. if I am not doing an engineering Job since I don't have a license? What if I am working as technician in Canada? I just need a general information which can be helpful in moving to certain direction.

NaiveWater930

May 2, 2024
Thank you for your detailed guidance. I did my graduation in Chemical Engineering in 2006. Now its bit difficult for me to start from scratch. However, the syllabus for the "Others" Category looks easier comparatively. Can I appear in this category? will it be accepted by APEGA?
Regarding P.Eng. , Is it mandatory that P.Eng. should be from the same field or anyone? How to manage 12 months experience within Canada under the supervision of P.Eng. if I am not doing an engineering Job since I don't have a license? What if I am working as technician in Canada? I just need a general information which can be helpful in moving to certain direction.
uhm I don't know about that. I have a few friends who took the other FE exam, and they told me that it is really difficult.
Actually, I asked the same question to APEGA, and I was told that it is not mandatory but it is better if the PEng is from the same field (specially for Competency Category 1 – Technical Competence). If using a Professional Licensee Engineer (P.L.(Eng.)) as validator, then the experience being validated must be in the same scope of practice.
You will need to contact APEGA about the experience (email is better than phone call)