+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian and Latina couple. Can I really sponsor her?

salsaandchips

May 10, 2024
Perhaps this is a bit a unique situation. I'm an immigrant to Canada from India. I moved here through Express Entry a few years ago and recently got my citizenship and passport. I am dating this girl I met online on a Spanish language learning app; she is from Colombia by the way. We've been dating for a few years now and I've been to Colombia a few times to see her. Now that I'm a citizen, I'm really keen on getting her to Canada as things in Colombia aren't that great.

I've been reading a lot on this lately and apparently IRCC doesn't like it when you get married in court without a ceremony. The problem is that both of us are massive introverts and we were wondering if we really need to have a full wedding ceremony? Also another thing is that I am not willing to do any ceremony in India because I don't get along well with my family in India and we don't really stay in touch. Will this be a problem for IRCC because unfortunately many Indian men have the stereotype of "mommy's boy" for life and IRCC could be wondering how I'm marrying this girl without doing any ceremony in India or having my family participate in it.

We both genuinely love each other and I have years worth of chats and photos as evidence but I'm worried about the marriage thing. Also a bit worried since Indians don't often marry outside of their religion. What can I do to make my application go smoothly?

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
We both genuinely love each other and I have years worth of chats and photos as evidence but I'm worried about the marriage thing. Also a bit worried since Indians don't often marry outside of their religion. What can I do to make my application go smoothly?
You're a Canadian. Of Indian heritage, yes, but you don't have to follow the cultural traditions of your family.

IRCC's requirements tend to apply most of all to - eg - those who are having arranged marriages, and to a less degree, those who are avoiding the 'traditional marriages' despite it being obviously a traditional one. (Which happens to overlap a lot with immigration fraud)

So just be organized - document the relationship. Physical time together will be the biggest thing convincing them you are a real couple.
-Partner not Indian, you met out of that context - explain and document.
-Photos photos photos. You may be introverts but you can suck it up and at least have a half dozen friends and family at your (civil) ceremony. Get photos with friends and family, photos of you together in different places.
-Explain neither of you are religious or traditional. (You have different backgrounds anyway_).
-Take your time and do this right because Colombia can also be a place where people try to leave. Physical time together and travelling with your partner are the best answers to that.

Go through the other things they look for: correspondence, financial support, etc. Start to collect some of that stuff.