+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I need help on a study permit question on custodian

Vusal

May 14, 2024
I am turning 17 in July this year, while I am preparing to submit my study permit application in a couple of days, meaning before I turn 17. However, I will be 17 when I enter Canada in August. Should I still try to get a custodianship letter?

Please note that my parents won't be in Canada when I will be doing my 4-year education. However, my father will accompany me to Canada in August but he will leave Canada in a couple of weeks. How should I answer the following question then?
Does this child need a custodian? (required)Select Yes if the child will not be travelling with a parent or legal guardian.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am turning 17 in July this year, while I am preparing to submit my study permit application in a couple of days, meaning before I turn 17. However, I will be 17 when I enter Canada in August. Should I still try to get a custodianship letter?

Please note that my parents won't be in Canada when I will be doing my 4-year education. However, my father will accompany me to Canada in August but he will leave Canada in a couple of weeks. How should I answer the following question then?
Does this child need a custodian? (required)Select Yes if the child will not be travelling with a parent or legal guardian.
Wrong section. Post follow up questions under International Students. Get custodianship letter as you are a minor.

Each province and territory decides the age when a person becomes an adult. This is known as the age of majority. A person under the age of majority is a “minor child”.

Province or territoryAge of majority
Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, Saskatchewan18
British Columbia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Nunavut, Yukon19