+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Duration on BOWP - when to apply to maximize length of the permit?

Ahmisht

Star Member
Aug 14, 2021
Hi all,

Is a Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) always valid for 1 year (I am not in Quebec so ignore that province)?

What is the "starting date" on a BOWP? Is it the day it is approved or the day the current work permit expires? Say my PGWP expires on April 30, 2023. If I apply for my BOWP now and it gets approved on Feb 28, 2023, then when will be the expiry date? Will it be Feb 28, 2024 or April 30, 2024?

I'd like to have it for the longest duration, so wondering if it would be better to apply later around April 20-April 25, 2023.

LeonTi

Sep 13, 2022
BOWP can be longer than 1 year and it starts from the date it's approved. It's recommended to apply BOWP ~3 months before your current work permit expires and it may take 6-7 months till the application is processed by IRCC. You will be maintained status after your current work permit expires and before you get your BOWP is approved.

Ahmisht

Star Member
Aug 14, 2021
BOWP can be longer than 1 year and it starts from the date it's approved. It's recommended to apply BOWP ~3 months before your current work permit expires and it may take 6-7 months till the application is processed by IRCC. You will be maintained status after your current work permit expires and before you get your BOWP is approved.
Thank you LeonTi...

LeonTi

Sep 13, 2022
But you need AOR to apply for BOWP.
Yes. You must submit documents to prove that your PR application has been submitted and you have paid the application fee before your "valid status" expires. That is the AOR from your PR application. If your stream is PNP then you need to submit your PNP nomination document as well.

JJFoshizzle

Sep 25, 2023
Hello there,

Could someone please assist with the following inquiry:

Do I need to apply for my BOWP 30 days before my work permit expires? or does it not matter?

Thanks,
-J

avidqtaqtx

Apr 18, 2021
Hello there,

Could someone please assist with the following inquiry:

Do I need to apply for my BOWP 30 days before my work permit expires? or does it not matter?

Thanks,
-J
It's advised to apply around 90 days before expiry for smoother processing. But if you have valid reason than it doesn't matter you can even apply on last day (wont advise, last week ok). As long as it is applied before your current permit expire it qualify.