+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing newborn baby, born outside Canada to Canadian PR parents

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My spouse copr expires in Oct, 2024. I came back to my country for an emergency situation. Is there a way to go all together? What you are saying is there is, apply for TRV, if refused, TRP. And once we are all in Canada, I can start the sponsorship application for my newborn, is this correct ?
WARNING: CONTACT THE IRCC / EMBASSY IMMIGRATION SECTION.

Sorry for all caps, but by my read, you MUST contact them before departing. You probably will have to have your child ADDED to your spouse's PR application. (Which will mean a COPR and immigration visa for the infant as well, and possibly/probably extending validity of your spouse's as well). YOu'll need docs for the kid, a medical check, and probably other steps. On the positive side the child will be able to travel wtih your spouse and become a PR right away.

The reason is: your spouse's family composition has changed, she has a new, naturally born dependent. Read the COPR carefully, I believe it says that you must advise before landing.

While I could be wrong, trust me, you want to find this out BEFORE departing for airport.

Reactions: YVR123

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
WARNING: CONTACT THE IRCC / EMBASSY IMMIGRATION SECTION.

Sorry for all caps, but by my read, you MUST contact them before departing. You probably will have to have your child ADDED to your spouse's PR application. (Which will mean a COPR and immigration visa for the infant as well, and possibly/probably extending validity of your spouse's as well). YOu'll need docs for the kid, a medical check, and probably other steps. On the positive side the child will be able to travel wtih your spouse and become a PR right away.

The reason is: your spouse's family composition has changed, she has a new, naturally born dependent. Read the COPR carefully, I believe it says that you must advise before landing.

While I could be wrong, trust me, you want to find this out BEFORE departing for airport.
Good point which needs clarification! Assume father is main applicant and landed and has PR card. OP, did you land as PR before or after the birth?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Good point which needs clarification! Assume father is main applicant and landed and has PR card. OP, did you land as PR before or after the birth?
Also good point, I am not clear at all who is who in this app, what type of app it is, etc. Best to check with IRCC.

Reactions: Naturgrl

kkarim999

Jan 18, 2024
Hi folks,

Need urgent advise.

We have COPR confirmation, and we have already submitted the passports for me and my dependent family members. Most probably we will get visas stamped in let's assume 4-5 weeks However we are waiting for the new baby as well. In this case, what's the best and fastest option to get the visa for the newborn baby, if we plan the landing in the summer? Is the visitor visa option faster? As far as I know, the sponsorship is possible if one of the parents is in Canada.

Another option is to inform IRCC about the change of family composition as soon as we have a new baby before landing. However, I'm afraid in this case our visas/COPRs will be re-assessed and the COPR and visa for the newborn baby together with ours will take several months.

Thanks a lot for the shared experiences.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi folks,

Need urgent advise.

We have COPR confirmation, and we have already submitted the passports for me and my dependent family members. Most probably we will get visas stamped in let's assume 4-5 weeks However we are waiting for the new baby as well. In this case, what's the best and fastest option to get the visa for the newborn baby, if we plan the landing in the summer? Is the visitor visa option faster? As far as I know, the sponsorship is possible if one of the parents is in Canada.

Another option is to inform IRCC about the change of family composition as soon as we have a new baby before landing. However, I'm afraid in this case our visas/COPRs will be re-assessed and the COPR and visa for the newborn baby together with ours will take several months.

Thanks a lot for the shared experiences.
You asked in a different thread. The child MUST be added to your family app. You must advise them, they will need to do medicals, etc. The child will then land with you as a PR.

I do not know specifics of your type of app but 'reassessment' should be limited, mostly the medical, and there's really no reason it can't be done by summer (but I do not know for certain about timing). Background checks etc will be limited, it should mainly be medical and cnfirming the child's identity and parentage is established. The main thing is you'll need to get birth certificate and passport ASAP.

Jun 25, 2019
Dear All,

We are Canadian PR card holders, however currently living outside Canada.
Please help me on the queries for my new born baby, born outside Canada:

1. How can we take the new born to Canada, is a visitor visa the only possible route?

2. Is it possible to add the new born for PR, based on the parents (our) PR status?

3. Will the baby be eligible for benefits such as healthcare, free schooling?

Requesting you to share your knowledge and experience on this topic, since we are really stuck with these questions.
Hi @maincanada,

As you started the thread, can you please share how did you resolve this issue?
It will be very useful for other people who are in same boat.

I request other folks as well in case if they found the solution and already brought their kid to Canada.

Thanks.