+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Background check on marraige?

Jan 22, 2019
Hi Everyone,

My friend wants to know how CIC does background checks for spousal inland PR applications. She is particularly interested in knowing if CIC can access Indian marriage records.

She had an inter-caste marriage that ended, but was a secret to everyone including her family and current husband (PR holder). The PR husband is now filling out the paper work and she cannot divulge information regarding the previous marriage to him or anyone else.

Ethics and fraud aside, can CIC check whether or not she was previously married?

Reactions: Sharukh khan

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Everyone,

My friend wants to know how CIC does background checks for spousal inland PR applications. She is particularly interested in knowing if CIC can access Indian marriage records.

She had an inter-caste marriage that ended, but was a secret to everyone including her family and current husband (PR holder). The PR husband is now filling out the paper work and she cannot divulge information regarding the previous marriage to him or anyone else.

Ethics and fraud aside, can CIC check whether or not she was previously married?
People on this forum don't really put ethics and fraud aside. If she fails to declare the previous marriage, she is committing fraud.

shalenabennie

Champion Member
Jan 17, 2017
Visa Office......
London
Canada does their home work. Of course they can checkand they will and the application will be denied due to misrepresentation, and then he will find out when he gets the letter as to why it was denied. You honestly think Canada would let someone in without researching them....?

Last edited:
Reactions: jddd

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Here to say that when my spouse sponsored me, IRCC coordinated with our local statistics office to check for any marriages I had in my home country (Philippines). So the answer is yes, even if no one knows, if you registered with the government, they will find out.

Reactions: shalenabennie

Test jj

May 8, 2024
Hi @mrgrinchgreenpizza ,
Hope you are doing well. I Was searching on Google as one of my friend going through the same situation then I found your comment on forum.It would be great help of you let me know how to proceed in such case.Should my friend disclose this or not to disclose the previous marriage.Also like to know what has happened in your case,what step you took that time and is it impacted on PR application? Please need your help as my friend is in same situation and in big trouble.