+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What kind of work permit or Visa is required if company wants me to transfer to Canadian office?

Liver100

May 3, 2024
Hi,

Been working in Indian office of Canadian company for over 8 yrs. What kind of work permit can company/myself apply for transferring to Canadian office?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
This perfect link.

Been waiting for 7-8 months since submitting SINP Application, Got ITA last year. Can I use job offer letter and ICT to move to canada while SINP nomination is pending?
No. Your employer must file for a LMIA exemption and show you are eligible, pay compliance fee and be approved. Once you have the LMIA exemption and offer of employment number from EDSC you can then apply for a closed work permit. Process takes months, and also depends where you live.

Is the same employer the one who supported your nomination?

Reactions: YVR123

Liver100

May 3, 2024
No. Your employer must file for a LMIA exemption and show you are eligible, pay compliance fee and be approved. Once you have the LMIA exemption and offer of employment number from EDSC you can then apply for a closed work permit. Process takes months, and also depends where you live.

Is the same employer the one who supported your nomination?
No SINP Application was via OID category. Not by employer. I am located outside canada.

My company has office in Canada and I am exploring If i can relocate to canada via ICT in the meantime.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
No SINP Application was via OID category. Not by employer. I am located outside canada.

My company has office in Canada and I am exploring If i can relocate to canada via ICT in the meantime.
As responded, your employer have to initiate the process for ICT. It will take some time and unlikely to allow you to just relocate while waiting for your PR approval.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

So ask employer to go through and apply for a LMIA exemption with EDSC. It will take some time for them to fill out the paperwork and get a response. Is employer in Sask. You want to move there if getting PR through SINP.

Liver100

May 3, 2024
So ask employer to go through and apply for a LMIA exemption with EDSC. It will take some time for them to fill out the paperwork and get a response. Is employer in Sask. You want to move there if getting PR through SINP.
I thought ICT are LMIA exempt. Based on Link provided by someone above.

My question is if I get ICT and live and work in Sask, will my OID application continue (Still waiting on nomination)?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I thought ICT are LMIA exempt. Based on Link provided by someone above.

My question is if I get ICT and live and work in Sask, will my OID application continue (Still waiting on nomination)?
Yes ICT’s are LMIA exempt but your employer still has to file for one and be approved. You need offer of employment number approved by EDSC. This will take months and then depending on where you live it will take even longer. Expect at least 6 months. You can live in Sask and application will continue. When did you apply?

So the Canadian office must apply for the LMIA exemption so that is the first step.

Liver100

May 3, 2024
Yes ICT’s are LMIA exempt but your employer still has to file for one and be approved. You need offer of employment number approved by EDSC. This will take months and then depending on where you live it will take even longer. Expect at least 6 months. You can live in Sask and application will continue. When did you apply?

So the Canadian office must apply for the LMIA exemption so that is the first step.

I applied for SNIP with OID in October after getting ITA. I am outside country not in canada..

My company has done ICTs for short duration (1-2 yrs) in the past but don't think they did LMIA.

At given rate I don't think will see Nomination from SNIp for long time and then after that procedure can take also long, than 2 yrs+ total. I am thinking for using ICT on work assignment to move to Canada for 2 yrs while OID is pending. Just confused about the procedure.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I applied for SNIP with OID in October after getting ITA. I am outside country not in canada..

My company has done ICTs for short duration (1-2 yrs) in the past but don't think they did LMIA.

At given rate I don't think will see Nomination from SNIp for long time and then after that procedure can take also long, than 2 yrs+ total. I am thinking for using ICT on work assignment to move to Canada for 2 yrs while OID is pending. Just confused about the procedure.
Talk to Canadian office about going into EDSC Employer Portal, paying compliance fee and filling for LMIA exemption.

Liver100

May 3, 2024
Talk to Canadian office about going into EDSC Employer Portal, paying compliance fee and filling for LMIA exemption.

Sounds good thanks , will do. Very helpful information.

Just to confirm as I dont think this was answered earlier: Will my application in SNIP OID Continue if I enter saskatchewan through ICT work permit? Would not want to drop that since it is still in process and potentially 1-1.5 yr away from PR?