+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name split for citizenship application

Namechange

Mar 18, 2024
My case is as under
My Indian passport had my name on Given Name and Family Name was blank

In Canada, family name is mandatory. So they printed my entire name on Family Name and Given Name is blank

I got my Indian passport name corrected by getting the name split and now it has Given Name and Family Name correctly mentioned.

Now I’m applying for Citizenship. As per my research so far I will need to apply for Legal Name Change. The Processing time these days is 6-7 months.

To save time If I apply with name as per my PR card, and I believe when applying for Canadian Passport we can mention the name as how we want it to be. Is that right? If yes, Will there be any issue in OCI application ?

What documents do they see for OCI? If they see Canadian passport then my names would match as my new passport I’ll choose the right name but if they see citizenship certificate then will I have to get my name corrected in citizenship certificate? How long that process would be?

I understand that immediately after getting citizenship we need to surrender our Indian passport and get OCI to travel. Since the name change may take months in citizenship certificate, I won’t be able to travel to India?

Also, what all documents require name correction post citizenship acquisition in canada ?

sny.sng

Star Member
Mar 17, 2021
My case is as under
My Indian passport had my name on Given Name and Family Name was blank

In Canada, family name is mandatory. So they printed my entire name on Family Name and Given Name is blank

I got my Indian passport name corrected by getting the name split and now it has Given Name and Family Name correctly mentioned.

Now I’m applying for Citizenship. As per my research so far I will need to apply for Legal Name Change. The Processing time these days is 6-7 months.

To save time If I apply with name as per my PR card, and I believe when applying for Canadian Passport we can mention the name as how we want it to be. Is that right? If yes, Will there be any issue in OCI application ?

What documents do they see for OCI? If they see Canadian passport then my names would match as my new passport I’ll choose the right name but if they see citizenship certificate then will I have to get my name corrected in citizenship certificate? How long that process would be?

I understand that immediately after getting citizenship we need to surrender our Indian passport and get OCI to travel. Since the name change may take months in citizenship certificate, I won’t be able to travel to India?

Also, what all documents require name correction post citizenship acquisition in canada ?
Hi for name split on indian passport,
Did you submit any docs with that like newspaper cutting or anything.

GEN123

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
so i am going to take the time to explain this in detail and please read it carefully
SCENARIO 1: you have done the name split on Indian Passport
In this case when it asks name of applicant you will need to apply with the split name and previous names used mention the full name in last name and proof of name change upload the old passport, new passport and you will also need to submit a provincial ID reflecting the new name Ontario OHIP card is the best option for that as they mention the name as is.

SCENARIO 2: if the name split is NOT done and full name is in Given Name field on Indian Passport
In this case you will need to write up a sworn affidavit sign & attest it at the Indian mission with an attestation of Indian Driving License / PAN or Aadhaar which reflects the same. In addition to that you will also need to submit a provincial ID reflecting the new name Ontario OHIP card is the best option for that as they mention the name as is.

IMPORTANT:
1) once you establish your name in the application you cannot change it later in the application process
2) the name on passport will come as is on the citizenship certificate and you cant change that
3) in such case the full name will be in the last name field and given name will be empty
4) OCI will have GIVEN NAME: XXX ; LAST NAME: (FULL NAME AS IN CAN PASSPORT)
5) Name change process after citizenship cert issued takes 8-9 months after submitting name change document

i will share the format of the affidavit which is to be drafted and attested at the Indian mission also with screenshots from IRCC on my experience of the name change process.

how do i know that is i have experience in all 3
1) my daughter got name split in new passport so i was able to update the name during the citizenship application process
2) my name change request was rejected because i already established my name during my application and couldnt change it once they started to process the application
3) when my spouse applied her name was not split on the passport so we submitted attested affidavit + attested aadhaar + Ontario OHIP as supporting dox & was able to update the name during the citizenship application process

Reactions: sny.sng

GEN123

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
this was the reply i got when i tried to update it after i submitted my application
Good afternoon,
Unfortunately we are unable to complete a name change for you at this time, as your established name is as per your passport and provincial driver’s license.

For any other questions relating to your citizenship application, you are encouraged to visit the “My immigration or citizenship application” section of our website at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application.html

Thank you,
NGF IRCC
UNQUOTE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GCMS NOTES for name split with full name in given name field in Indian Passport and full name in last name field in PRC

NOTES: 9
Created Date: 2023/XX/XX
Updated Date: 2023/XX/XX
Restricted: N
Label: General
Text: Name as per Indian Sworn Affidavit of Name Change dated MM/DD/YYYY and Ontario Health Card as linking document.
Office: CPC Sydney

NOTES: 10
Created Date: 2023/XX/XX
Updated Date: 2023/XX/XX
Restricted: N
Label: General
Text: Name on Application changed:
Old Value(s): OLD NAME, DOB, GENDER, PLACE OF BIRTH, COB
New Value(s): NEW SPLIT NAME, DOB, GENDER, PLACE OF BIRTH, COB
Office: CPC Sydney
UNQUOTE

GEN123

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
SWORN AFFIDAVIT OF NAME CHANGE

I, FULL NAME (Date Of Birth: ), holder of Indian Passport Number (PP NUMBER) issued on (DATE) at (PLACE OF ISSUE), currently a Permanent Resident of Canada residing at (ADDRESS IN CANADA). Address in India at (ADDRESS IN INDIA)
Do hereby solemnly affirm and declare as under that:
After my marriage to (SPOUSE NAME) on (DATE), I have legally changed my name to (NEW NAME) although it is common practice to include the full first name and last name in the “Given Names” section of my current Indian Passport I wish to formally declare my name as follows
FIRST NAME: ; LAST NAME:
as shown in the following legal documents issued,
Government of India Aadhaar National ID Card:
Government of India Income Tax Department PAN Card:
I was formerly known by the name (NAME) before my marriage which was solemnized on (DATE) and some of the documents which were issued before this date still bear my former name.
I hereby confirm that (OLD NAME) and (NEW NAME) are the names pertaining to one and the same person.

DECLARATION:
I hereby affirm that the above statement of mine is true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief and that I am now using my current name, “(NEW NAME)” exclusively for all purposes. I also confirm that none of the contents mentioned above have been misrepresented or concealed therein. I understand that I will be liable to be prosecuted, if this affidavit or any part of it is in anyway found incorrect or false

DEPONENT
Date:

Reactions: sny.sng