+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I have to move back home during my program studies.

Avi Avi

May 11, 2024
Hello, thank you reading this.

I have completed my first graduate certificate program in Ontario and have my second program starting in Fall, 2024.

Unfortunately, I have to go home during my second program and I cannot do anything about it. I have communicated the concern with my program coordinator and they seem to be okay with the following adjustments.

What concerns me is the announcement that IRCC came out with regarding online education. The website reads "Study time completed from abroad starting September 1, 2023, will be deducted from the length of their PGWP, regardless of when a student began their studies."

My second program is online as well as offline. While, I intend to attend the program offline, without a doubt, going back home leaves me no choice but to go for the online medium.

My time away from Canada would be around two months, where three weeks would be Winter Holidays.

Is this decision to go back home going to bite me when I apply for my work permit? Does the announcement mean that I would have get two months less off my three years WP?

Really concerning.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello, thank you reading this.

I have completed my first graduate certificate program in Ontario and have my second program starting in Fall, 2024.

Unfortunately, I have to go home during my second program and I cannot do anything about it. I have communicated the concern with my program coordinator and they seem to be okay with the following adjustments.

What concerns me is the announcement that IRCC came out with regarding online education. The website reads "Study time completed from abroad starting September 1, 2023, will be deducted from the length of their PGWP, regardless of when a student began their studies."

My second program is online as well as offline. While, I intend to attend the program offline, without a doubt, going back home leaves me no choice but to go for the online medium.

My time away from Canada would be around two months, where three weeks would be Winter Holidays.

Is this decision to go back home going to bite me when I apply for my work permit? Does the announcement mean that I would have get two months less off my three years WP?

Really concerning.
The time away doesn’t count towards PGWP. So yes, it will impact your PGWP. You are not guaranteed a 3 year work permit. IRCC sites states that you will get a PGWP the length of your two programs.

Avi Avi

May 11, 2024
The time away doesn’t count towards PGWP. So yes, it will impact your PGWP. You are not guaranteed a 3 year work permit. IRCC sites states that you will get a PGWP the length of your two programs.
My first program is three semesters, making it one year exact. However, my second program is two semesters or 8 months. Does that mean there is a possibility that I would not qualify for three years because they consider eight months as the minimum standard for two years study?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My first program is three semesters, making it one year exact. However, my second program is two semesters or 8 months. Does that mean there is a possibility that I would not qualify for three years because they consider eight months as the minimum standard for two years study?
IRCC may give you 8 months or a year. You will know when until you apply and the 2 months will be deducted if not studying in Canada. Hopefully it will be 3 years less the months outside of Canada. However if the second program is counted as 6 months (being outside for 2) then that may be an issue.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/about.html

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
[/QUOTE

You also have to count on no policy changes

Ashwin#

Dec 12, 2019
Respected members,

Here is my timeline and reasons for not completing two courses from different colleges.

Time line - Study visa Feb 2020 for International business management 4 semester from St.Clair college Windsor, May 20 Intake.
- Did one semester online from India, second in Canada and was not able to do remaining two semesters.
- Took second course at Centennial college for two semesters, could not clear two subjects of last semester.
- Came back to India, 2022 August, Working as a sales manager since.
- Now planning to do MBA from UCW Vancouver, Ielts 7 overall I have got in hand.
- Funds and Documents ready, consulting IDP at present, please can anyone suggest me what should take care going forward and how strong is my case and chances of refusal.
P.S. I have graduated in 2016 and having 7 years experience, age 30 running.